PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

Quote from: vomitgore on October 25, 2016, 12:30:19 AM
The Rita - Ballet Feet Positions

This certainly ranks as one of his best.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Dr Alex on October 22, 2016, 06:17:02 PMBeside old classics, my fave from him is "The Word As Power". Absolutely amazing album!
It certainly is.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Baglady

V/A - Belial C60 (Sound Of Pig)
Good one from 1986. Contributions from some swede (Mygel), Death Mag 52, The Grey Wolves, Virullex (who's that), Mesh and several tracks by Justin Broadrick under various monickers (Final, Last Exit and Crusade). While I enjoy the entire thing, it's Broadrick's tracks which steal the show. Very dank and murky, end of days-sounding industrial, becquerel monitors basically bursting.

V/A ‎– 6x10=60 Vol. 3 C60 (Korm Plastics)
An even more brilliant compilation from the same year. Le Syndicat, Irritant, Controlled Bleeding, Chazev, Mauthausen Orchestra and Kapotte Muziek get 10 minutes each. Great from start to finish. Highligts for me are Irritant, Chazev (why hasn't someone reissued the Katatonia cassette?) and Mauthausen Orchestra. Great mix of messed up rythmic stuff (Le Syndicat, CB), raw and simple noise (Irritant, MO), foggy industrial (Chazev) and just braindead wailing tones (KM). Found in a store in Gothenburg earlier this year for 75kr (8€)...

FreakAnimalFinland

THE GERO-P tape
Black Operations
There is fine line between bootlegs and "fan releases". I have no doubt the guy behind these tapes is huge fan and Gerogerigegege collectors. Only thing that prices of tapes seemed not to really match idea of merely making rare thing available, but there is certainly some element of gaining finances. Even if little, but probably more than is justified by dubbing few bulk ferric tapes and making couple copies. Nevertheless, as fellow Gero-fan, I still appreciate opportinity to hear good sounding tape version, which looks like original and sounds good. Opening piece of this tape, was already used on Senzuri Power-Up CD, but there is more. Fucking brilliant, ripping, wild and bizarre noise. Fierce screaming, tormenting feedback... just brilliant stuff. Stuff with beat and guitar remains almost equally rotten and loudly amplified. I'd say there is certainly demand for rarities of Gerogerigegege reissued. I hope there would be fully legit reissues, which don't just use few cuts from tapes, but compile together rare tapes and perhaps various compilation tracks.
Gero-P was Juntaro with Fumiyoshi Suzuki (Zeni Geva guitarist at the time).

THE GEROGERIGEGEGE "Piano River" tape
Black Operations
Rare tape, originally not for sale, but given to friends. It is rough "turntable noise", made with piano music LP being misused to create raw needle noises on most likely destroyed LP surface. While being very simple idea, and far from technical excellency of something like Busratch for example, it is very good recording! Even if this would be on CD or LP, I'm pretty sure it would be appreciated by many Gerogerigegege fans...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

moozz

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 26, 2016, 05:07:41 PM
THE GEROGERIGEGEGE "Piano River" tape
Black Operations
Rare tape, originally not for sale, but given to friends. It is rough "turntable noise", made with piano music LP being misused to create raw needle noises on most likely destroyed LP surface. While being very simple idea, and far from technical excellency of something like Busratch for example, it is very good recording! Even if this would be on CD or LP, I'm pretty sure it would be appreciated by many Gerogerigegege fans...

This tape (the piano side) sounds like an extension to my favorite Gero track of all time, Stairway To Promotion. I could listen to hours of this stuff.

FreakAnimalFinland

Sleep Chamber "SixSixSix" 4xLP+7"
Vinyl On Demand
I have had always love/hate relationship with SC. Their best releases are great. Their worst releases are absolute rubbish. They way member present themselves in social media is quite horrid, so I've done by best to try to avoid anything else but the "good side of SC", hah... This compilation is not their best works, but neither worst. It's just utterly simple industrial music. Most often song template is, that drum machine beat goes on and on, and on top of that few minimal guitar or electronic sounds appear and repeating vocals that are on fine line of amusing and dark. If this was done in Finnish, it could be purely humoristic. Now as english, it works out. Best material of this release must be abundance of unreleased old stuff. No idea why these have not been issued before, but they are among better SC stuff. And for me, the most admirable quality of this stuff is not technical excellency nor interesting songs, but simply themes, (original) artwork and guts what it requires someone to put out such a outrageously simple stuff. It's almost like later days Atrax Morgue would be morphed into fetish-obsessed magick goth industrial. Musically not the same. Just utterly demented and simple ideas and repeating lines that may appear ridiculous to any normal human being. Therefore, pretty much genius works here.

Peterson

Scar Crowe s/t C20 (Self Abuse)

Two side-long pieces of pretty eerie (pleasant if you ask me) tape music/musique concrete based off of field recordings (of fuck knows what; wind? A pier on a lake? A graveyard??) from Patrick of Skin Crime/Self Abuse. Good shit! It actually reminds me of an *ahem,* extremely familiar project at times, mostly because of the layered textural tape crunch where specific frequencies stand out. Both tracks are effectively two parts of one piece; sounds like perhaps it was recorded with a Walkman or other cassette portable, then dubbed to ½-inch reel-to-reel for the best possible variation in frequencies, but I really don't know. Sounds like it could be straight to one track, or perhaps a couple layers, again, hard to say; that's the beauty of this kind of stuff and why I'm a sucker for obscure, atmospheric tape sounds derived from who-the-fuck-knows. Maybe this would appeal to fans of the Swedish tape stuff, or the US tape project Remnants? Pick this one up.

Scar Crowe "A Cold Night's Death" C20 (Self Abuse)

Another pair of side-long atmospheric tracks of the same duration as the above, but with a more processed feel; I can hear a little reverb effect on a background loop, as well as some really subtle sub-bass drones that lie underneath some interesting (unidentifiable, as it should be) clattering/shifting sounds that make for musique concrete...except dead. Depressing. The first side reminds me of certain ambient sections from "apocalyptic folk" acoustic guitarist Richard A. Bosse, and that's a good thing. After some minutes, a very nice reverberating drone loop kicks in underneath the clatter and for a moment cycles alone before the sort of hollow, creaky scraping noises resume. On the second side, I hear more echoing/reverberating background electronic loops, one is really tasy cold mechanical humming. There is possibly some kind of chime sound providing the percussive/textural overlay element (I've occasionally recorded flag poles that sounded like this), and I think this track might be the Scar Crow piece I like best so far. Some really nice timbral scraping kicks in after a bit and is perfectly balanced. This piece is also a continuation of its' preceding track, however, has a distinctly slower feel and totally uninvasive vibe. Although this stuff is definitely eerie, ominous and unnerving, it's also pretty relaxing, calming in the most contradictory sense. I'd love to hear something like this used in suspenseful sequences in a horror or slasher flick, fuck yes. Didn't you ever watch a Giallo or a horror flick where you wanted to killer to pull it all off and get away scot-free? Well, this is the project for that mood.

Puce Mary/Rodger Stella "PM/RS" C20 (Mutter Wild)

A collaboration of one of the older greats of noise and tape music and one of the best younger people creating whatever this kind of music is today? Okay, yeah, let's go. And it's exactly as good as could be expected within the first few cycles of whichever really captivating, "old-school" tape-echoed and saturated loops of powerful synth tones start first on side A. With the interlocking bi-tonal "melodies" layered over one another, it's hard to go wrong, especially from two people who are known for doing relatively simple things in a completely unique and engaging manner. This result, of course, is nothing less than that. Some people could say that this sounds really '80's, and they wouldn't really be far wrong with a Broken Flag comparison of some kind (I'm thinking....Maurizio Bianchi compilation tracks??), but this does not have quite the same dismal, cold-as-a-witch's-teat fidelity and atmosphere that almost all murky '80's stuff seems to. This is just sort of decrepit-sounding, especially while the crunchy overlaid tape noise takes over from the treated synth loops. Things continue along the Italian-English-influenced lines on side B, albeit with a more Power Electronic vibe; and a more aggressive atmosphere. This track sounds like it could have been Frederikke's on her own on a Puce Mary album, with guest appearance by Stella, rather than something I'd immediately attach Stella's name to if I heard it blindly. This is a good thing, though, any artist that's got an ability to skillfully execute a specific style they have an ear for, whether or not it's entirely characteristic of their "normal" output has got my vote. Still, I keep waiting for the vocals to kick in as I've heard on a couple other releases and seen in videos of live performances; I'm not exactly saying they're missing, but both tracks could have translated well into full-on Power Electronics with the addition of Frederikke's vocals. It's still an effective mix of scraping loop sounds saturated on tape with fairly foreboding and dark synthesizer loops/tones in the background – with what I really hope is a piano at one point. Don't miss out on this one, again; directed at those enamored with magnetic tape and subtle loops. It says "undisclosed edition," so if you fuck up and skip these, it's your own fault.

Puce Mary/Rodger Stella "NYC (live)" C47 (Mutter Wild)

Side A begins with a machinelike loop that I'd probably use as an example of what I was describing if a clueless person asked what I meant by industrial or noise music. Cyclical, electronic, effected with reverb and maybe some echo; this is by no means any new formula, but just so well-executed it can't help but captivate me immediately. The "wet electricity" saw wave tones of the synthesizer in combination with the steely reverb effect again make for a fucking CLASSIC "old-school" sound that is still not necessarily just like any of the stuff these two probably had in mind when composing their collaborative pieces. After a while, some more "cinematic" synth drones that are pretty much pounded flat via tape saturation introduce themselves, making for a really, well, cinematic atmosphere; like something out of a science fiction film Tarkovsky would make today if he hadn't been poisoned by the KGB. Next, some Mark Solotroff-type helicopter cyclical drones kick in; initially a fast one, immediately following it a beatlike throbbing pulse. The way the Artemyev-style synth lines interact with the Power Electronic ones reminds me a whole lot of certain longer Ultra tracks like "Kiddie Litter" (it's even got pounding percussion after a point, during a very intense crescendo) and that's pretty much where it gets in terms of utmost fucking excellence in whatever you call this kind of music. When the Krautrock-esque action starts to happen, it only solidifies the comparison; fuck yes, this is pretty much exactly what I want/need to be listening to at the moment. Rodger's informed me that new collaboration is in the works, which I'll certainly snatch up after even just this A-Side listening session. Side B continues where A left off to take on a more '90's character, not unlike some Brighter Death Now. The synthesizer lines become sharper, more electrifying, and wet, before crescendoing into an even heavier "airplane hangar" section that despite some strange '70's descending-scale synth lines pretty much fits the "Tesco" definition of "Heavy Electronics." Some really bombastic pounding metal percussion continues along this stylistic line as noisier static Power Electronics synths creep their way in and Frederikke's whacked-out effected vocals start to dominate the mix. The modulations are absolutely insane and render any distinct words or phrases completely unintelligible, if there are any. Again, this section is really not unlike some of Ultra's longer sound-collage pieces with percussive sections and some of the more elaborate vocal freakouts. At this point, it slows down somewhat quickly and stops abruptly. When the next track begins about a second later, I am unsure if it's actually a new track or another section of what was happening previously, due to similarity in sound and atmosphere. Here, we see the more laser-like PE synth actions over throbbing bass pulses that sweep like science fiction film sound effects. This part reminds me strongly of certain sections of the earlier Pure and Total albums, like Fetor or Hard + Low, with it's sort of psychedelic take on PE. With the track coming to a close as some eerie industrial conveyor belt synthesizers are introduced prior to some insanely good-sounding texture static/tape crunch and feedback, I'm almost without further things to say; this track is like an exercise in various styles both artists are fans of, and attempting to blend them. All in all, it's most certainly a success. Again, I'd have liked to hear more of Frederikke's vocals, as that's one of her signature components for me, but regardless, I am quite pleased with this tape from the very first listen. If you get ONE tape from Mutter Wild that isn't MSNP-related, make it this one.

FreakAnimalFinland

BROKEN LIGHTS "Defeat / Failures" tape
Posh Isolation
Perhaps direction is more of going along stream of swedish climate? Well, lets say, I associated some of earlier works more to industrial noise of some sort. And while this is pretty much the same as before, when tape is more like experiment with broken tape-delay machine, then it's suddenly a notch more towards the arty side of experimental tape manipulation thing. Not bad. Short tape which could have more substance, since while older works seemed indeed juicy rough material what sits well next to early LR, Alfarmania, older Puce Mary,and so on... Now it's notable step towards conceptual.

UNCODIFIED "Maybe All is not completed" CD
Unrest
To me, band works best at his most atmospheric songs. Such as massive closing track, which is well selected here to end album into highlight. One must also give credit that each track is composed with style, that it is never just more of the same, but actual track. It's hard to put Uncodified to specific category. It is not really "heavy electronics". It surely isn't "noise". Also calling it power electronics is not very accurate. Somewhere in near all those, slightly vague realm of industrial... When comparing to Unrest roster other artists, Uncodified has some of cold and fuzzy elements what may be found in Shift, clear and unsaturated crispyness of IFOTS. It doesn't sound like those, though. Only the gut feeling what I get. Minimalistic digipak where you will not find anything unnecessary.

H.C.O.D. "Instruments of destiny" tape
H.C.O.D. "Fracture of Mercy" tape
ARBITER "Negatively-existent cell" tape

Fieldwork
These days international postage is so high, I know a lot of guys who gave up on "checking things out". They will buy tapes only if they know for sure it's great. And also often if it happens to be available in some handy place. Well, let me tell you that both of these are worth to grab! And I may also tell there is one Finnish distro selling them still at the moment... hehe...  I have listened "Instruments of destiny" couple times. That's probably my favorite of all these, but also due length. It's long tape, what manages to capture feeling of true album. Industrial-noise is the name of the game, and one may say they have heard all the metal junk, rugged sound manipulation, vibrating phaser/flanger feedbacks, grim howling voices.. perhaps. Sample song I add link, doesn't give full idea what the tape is about, but a bit.
Label gives me similar feel like LUST VESSEL early tapes. Some obscure names one doesn't instantly recognize and very carefully designed, neat j-cards. Good sound and top notch presentation. There is certainly the feel they know how to approach "post-mortem" very consciously, yet it's not cheap nostalgia. At least I don't get that feeling from it.  This is one of the relatively new labels, I'd hope to be able to check every title. So far none has been disappointment!
https://fldwrk.bandcamp.com/album/fracture-of-mercy
https://fldwrk.bandcamp.com/album/instruments-of-destiny

GENOCIDE ORGAN "Archive VIII" 10"
Tesco
I guess it's just couple more and we've reached 10x10". It doesn't seem that they'd be digging from bottom of barrel, but actually material here again is great. It is simple, yes, but extremely dark and brutal. It isn't so many groups who could put their own character to couple simple synth tones or throbbing distorted beats. These early 90's recordings have also utterly crude, yet strong sound. Everything melts together into saturated industrial noise nightmare. I hope they'll do some sort of CD box out of these 10"s. It would be shame if more people couldn't hear these...

Ritual

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 03, 2016, 03:34:49 PM
GENOCIDE ORGAN "Archive VIII" 10"
Tesco
I guess it's just couple more and we've reached 10x10". It doesn't seem that they'd be digging from bottom of barrel, but actually material here again is great. It is simple, yes, but extremely dark and brutal. It isn't so many groups who could put their own character to couple simple synth tones or throbbing distorted beats. These early 90's recordings have also utterly crude, yet strong sound. Everything melts together into saturated industrial noise nightmare. I hope they'll do some sort of CD box out of these 10"s. It would be shame if more people couldn't hear these...

This is one of the best, so far, of the series, in my opinion. This one and IV. I agree that it is quite astonishing how they can do something so simple and sound so typically GO. It's remarkable that they've been sitting on all this material for so long. It's certainly not weak stuff. The only Archive part I think is weak is the first one.

Peterson

I've come to the conclusion that C10s of PE projects are pointless...

Miscreant "Birthright" C10 (New Forces)

Finally managed to get my mits on some of these guys' stuff, and I was in no way disappointed except for the length of the tape. Next time, I hope minimum C20 length, because they're pretty skilled - the comparisons to Brethren are apparent in the vocals, but as far as I'm concerned, its' on the other side of the spectrum "otherwise." Thought the vocals worked much better than the riot/protest samples, although the latter concept would've worked with a longer track. The backing synthesizer noise could be dismissed by some as too simple, but I thought it worked really well.

Yrjö-Koskinen

No, I'm not American, and yes, I know Trump  is probably going to be our Obama or worse. Nonetheless, just seeing the European journalist caste crying its eyes out while trying to understand why people they hate voted for someone they hate... It's just so fucking beautiful. This is my Woodstock.

Thusly, I am listening to this quality music, as recommended by mr. Malik Obama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR8fsu4qkcQ&feature=youtu.be

Alfarmania, various RRR tapes, Grunt LP etc upcoming, once I get my stereo in order.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Yrjö-Koskinen

"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

yosef666

Quote from: Peterson on November 07, 2016, 11:38:37 PM
I've come to the conclusion that C10s of PE projects are pointless...

Miscreant "Birthright" C10 (New Forces)

Finally managed to get my mits on some of these guys' stuff, and I was in no way disappointed except for the length of the tape. Next time, I hope minimum C20 length, because they're pretty skilled - the comparisons to Brethren are apparent in the vocals, but as far as I'm concerned, its' on the other side of the spectrum "otherwise." Thought the vocals worked much better than the riot/protest samples, although the latter concept would've worked with a longer track. The backing synthesizer noise could be dismissed by some as too simple, but I thought it worked really well.
Unfortunately Miscreant seems to be done. I'd recommend checking out both members' solo projects though. Lucas records as Lágrimas, and released two short split tapes a couple years ago, one with a forgettable hardcore band called Arab Spring and the other with Prisionero13, a quite good Mexican PE act. Sam records as Full Blooded and has released one solo tape and a split with Koufar under that moniker, both excellent.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

Peterson

Mares Laig "Sweat Out The Saturnine Filth" C15 (Private Archive)
   This was advertised as something like "wire compositions" so I was assuming something more along the lines of Alvin Lucier or what-have-you. Now, this may be exactly that in terms of source sound, but it's also processed with a synthesizer, workstation, software, effects, or something – there is some pretty pleasurable tape/electronic fuzz/crackle alongside soft synthesizer drones and more intrusive noise. This could be filed under "tape music" or more like what's most often referred to as "industrial" in the more modern, general sense – not really everyone's take on industrial, but I like this, whatever it is. Non-aggressive tape music to come down from a PE binge, I guess. I wish this tape was more like a C20 or a longer. Will most likely seek more stuff from this project and label et al. I can see how this would appeal to fans of the label already or people into the overall Strange Rules or Monorail Trespassing output.

Blessed Sacrifist "Somber Passing" C30 (Solar Temple)
   I purchased a tape from a project I had never heard, released on a label I had never heard of, recommended by a guy I may have been in touch with twice; excellent results. This is somewhere along the lines of some Control sections, some Ramleh, newer Kleistwahr material – highly clean and sharp, digital drone/power electronics. Definitely a somber, elegiac tone; relatable as I've known a lot of people who've passed over the past year or so. What stands out for me are the wailing vocals, again comparable to Gary Mundy, but I am not at all sure whether or not words are actually being said; just some sort of vocalized lament. Good shit that I would not often be in the mood for but value nonetheless. I'll likely check out more from this project, possibly the label as well. Recommended for all Americans wanting to know obscure, current power electronics.

Painted Woman "7.27.14" C10 (Unseen Force)
   Another short PE jerkoff – I don't mean that in an insulting sense, but that's what short PE tapes tend to be. I'd imagine I can get a better grasp of what this project is all about if I buy the box set, which I do intend to do at some point. Well, this project seems to be one of many belonging to a guy whose others I may or may not have heard. I like this stuff, although the A-side track is essentially a sample I have already heard on a Whitehouse/Peter Sotos track underneath feedback and a spring reverb that basically sounds like Mauthausen Orchestra or Sutcliffe Jugend. Not bad, but much better in larger doses, I'm really at least hoping. It's one thing to use electric-frying synth tones and high-end flutter, but to use a sample most of us have already heard and remember quite well is another thing. B-side starts off in a bit of a more interesting manner with a more synth-type high-end tone and an echoed sample – this time from some clinician from a documentary or something. Old, dusty tape-sounding feedback comes in again, same comparisons hold. More forward-momentum violence this time, with some nice synth+reverb sweeps/bounces that give way to another sample that's hard to place context to. All in all, I really hope this project is not entirely sample-based and has some vocals on some tracks, it would probably not hold my attention this way for the entire discography. Whatever the case, I hope for a little more variation when tracking down more material. Can't really say I recommend this to much of anyone except the odd fanatic/completist. Great name for the project, though.

Crown Of Cerberus "Les Roses Sanglantes" C30 (Nefarious Activities)
   M. Chami's tape music project on the subject of the Black Dahlia murder investigation and its' central figure, Elizabeth Short. Excellent choice of theme by a perennially-promising side-project that's never disappointed me. Dare I say I even prefer this project to Koufar? This is only the second Nefarious Activities release I've ever owned and on this occasion I'm stunned that they charge only $5 for this excellent sound with totally perfect packaging/inserts. The melancholy and sublime nature of the synths, pianos, and other instruments alongside the darkness of the magnetic tape distortion is like David Lynch's 1990s/early 20000s era films; really hypnotic and beautiful yet disturbing, tragic, and unsettling. The pieces presented herein are also very short, perhaps intentionally reflecting the actress' brief, troubled life. There is also a nice early track involving piano and tape echo, the combination of which I'm a sucker for and employ myself regularly. It's hard to give a description that does justice to these tracks, as I don't believe any are meant to stand out from the others, and most of my word choice would be vague and generic. I simply would suggest that you can expect what you've come to appreciate from the project, but a bit darker, rougher, and more tragic. How this can be anything besides total satisfaction is a ridiculous assertion, especially when the delayed horn sounds come in not unlike Total's "Hard + Low." The opening B-side track transitions from gorgeous emotive synth New Age-y sounds to helicopter old-school PE/industrial pulses distorted via tape saturation which immediately held my attention, making the story take a turn for the worse. Following that, a cinematic moment of extreme sadness hits and absolutely cements in concrete the conceptual nature of this recording; if Mack intended for me to visualize many moments in her life and death throughout these pieces, it was a complete success. Here, we see things get not only tragic but weird and complicated – perhaps here we take on the perspective of Betty Bersinger, the woman who'd discovered her corpse complete with Glasgow smile, or investigating sergeant Joseph St. John. Totally perfect conceptual release recommended for the true crime fans or tape music fans alike – here Mack has completely honed his craft and executed his intentions without fail. Pick this up any way you can.

Int3rspecies Er0t1ca "A Decade of Besti4l1ty" C20? (Moral Defeat)
   Also had been interested in what was going on with this label for a while but hadn't picked anything up until now – figured the best approach was to try and up-and-cumming project. Since Bodil Jorgensen is a household name for the typical sex noise/PE fan, this was a natural choice. From the first second, oscillating feedback in an incredibly delicate, brittle style not dissimilar to the 1980s greats and one-compilation-track-wonders. I like this stuff, and do not care for innovation in these cases. The reliance on reverb and shouting over modulation and screaming invite more of a Forza Albino or X.E. comparison than a lot of the blown-out US stuff. Although I'd like to understand the lyrics through their delivery a bit more, I can at least appreciate that they're not the S.J./M.O. worship that only half of those who attempt actually succeed at (I'm not excluded from that remark). Furthermore, there's some great dark synth "melodies" that sort of drop in halfway through "Pig Lover" that add personality in a way I'm also a sucker for. Already fairly certain I'll pick up whatever this project releases, I definitely see even more potential in a style of PE I already really tend to love. I'd compare the second piece "Stigmatized" to one of the tracks off a one-off PE project called Olymphia from Posh Isolation regulars I can't remember the names of. This, however, is perverse and menacing, whereas Olymphia is tragic and mournful. One element this duo is perhaps missing is heavy metal percussion – with their use of reverb and echo, I'm sure there is a good way they could integrate it into their spacious, dark sound/style. Well, you might as well lick my balls, too, if you're going to suck my cock, because there is fucking metal percussion on side B track 1, "A Wasted Life." Coupled with what sounds like guitar feedback, this has a pretty awesome "brittle" effect reminding me of certain Snuff or Sick Seed tracks, maybe even Treriksroset or Mania. What I like about this style is that it can simultaneously sound like it's about to fall apart, and able to crush you through sound. If you're into power electronics, reading this, and have not yet picked this tape up, you should do so immediately. I have not found one flaw thus far and don't expect any on the remaining track. The final piece has modulated vocals which sound like The Sodality high on methamphetamines and the backing track as if it is being eaten up by the tape player – if you need more reasons to get this shit that's second only to Forza Albino and Kommando RJF in terms of deranged quality, you won't like it. Otherwise, this is what so many would call "essential." 10/10.

Whiteswan "Insatiable Lust" C15? (Wrath)
   Another project with an oddly beautiful name, befitting the bloody electronic sound noise violence. Had been hoping to pick up some material from this label for a while and was pleasantly surprised to learn this project belongs apparently to a forum member. The roughness and total lack of advanced equipment/techniques make this seem as promising as potentially frustrating, with many of the gutter-level European projects – this is a good thing, mostly. Side A, eponymous title, starts off with rattling, angular, fast-paced synth electronics; old Consumer Electronics, S.J., etc. Imposing but not the bottomed-out bass-heavy sound of today. Think Forza Albino, maybe. Unclean could be a valid comparison, I would not at all be surprised if this guy was Finnish like the latter comparison. I like this stuff because if it weren't for the vocal sections, it'd be hard to call this power electronics or harsh noise purely – just ugly hateful sexual sound. Most are probably thinking this project wouldn't be far from home on Filth & Violence, and I think there may indeed be a Whiteswan tape on Filth & Violence I might track down. I have a total love/hate relationship with the way the vocals interrupt the mix of noise, and would probably best enjoy this project when coming home piss drunk off well whiskey and feeling like I deserve to die. I'm glad I picked up the one on Narcolepsia as well! My only complaint is that this track feels improvised in the negative connotation of that word – not rehearsed except maybe once. Like I said, PE drunk hate. If put on a compilation alongside Chloroform Rapist, KSNK, ABNTR, Snuff, Contortus, some SSRI, and other Finnish gutter filth, this project wouldn't stand out at all, but would feel as if it were missing were it not included alongside the others. This really is only for people who already know what to expect and need more of what they prefer. Luckily I like this kind of putrid  greasy stuff without being a fanboy consumer obsessive. Well, back to the sounds themselves: side B sort of picks up where A left off, and continues with the squalling noise sweeps and forward-driving oscillations. I cannot say this is something at all innovative but I admire the utterly low intent and unimpressive sound. This is truly anhedonic, cold, and alcoholic sounding. The vocals have no excitement to them and are not placed deliberately. No fun whatsoever. Sounds and feels like a mix of my most angry and most self-hating moments in life. Good shit. I really have nothing more to say except this is for people who sometimes need to be drained and exhausted by their power electronics.  Recommended only to fans of the above-mentioned projects and absolutely nobody else.

Iron Fist Of The Sun "Family Survival Strategy" C?? (Unrest Productions)
   I tend to sleep on releases by this label and project, always regretting it pretty thoroughly; you know when you feel stupid for not buying a release when you had the cash, because you wanted to eat out or drink that night? Well, Lee Howard's neoclassical abstract power electronics are plenty reason to avoid such temptations. More than ever, his project seems to hold a serious and foreboding quality telling of future events which we all know are to come yet many of us seem to be in denial of. Consider the title of the tape; this is not music for those who are easily assure that everything is going to be alright, and probably not for those who even desire to be assured of such an illusion, anyway. This is not pleasing to those who feel that power electronics is nothing more than sleazy sexual noise with vocals; this is power electronics as a subgenre of industrial music with all its' variegated intentions. From the manipulated synthesizer cinematic tones of the introduction track, to the pounding solitary echoed thump awash with crystal-clear drones of the second, IFOTS always stands out as having different intentions for himself and the listener than any other current or yesteryear project. The sounds contained herein make me somewhat suspicious that Lee is perhaps the guy behind the Broken Britain Cassettes mini-label that seems to have popped up out of nowhere; I hear some vague but not generic similarities to samples I have heard on the Bandcamp page. Either way, I plan to check that label out and the comparison is intended as a compliment. Anyway, the second track seems to morph into one more traditionally power electronics with its' mutilated vocals, background oscillations, and high-pitched tone throughout. This is the IFOTS one hears on albums like Tears Royal and I Will Never Have The Right. I'd compare this track favorably to Whitehouse in the early '90's, like the Never Forget Death MCD, but less darkly comical and more simply foreboding. Side A comes to a close with one of those tri-tonal typical industrial melodies although in a way which again is more characteristic of IFOTS than the genre as a whole; some incredibly nice-sounding feedback comes in alongside absolutely drenched sugar daddy vocals, maybe making this my favorite piece thus far on the tape. Although I will revisit this tape a lot, it's as much a reminder to pick up other releases I'm missing than one that stands totally on its' own; in honesty, it doesn't. This is not my favorite material from this project and probably pales in comparison to some of Lee's longer efforts. However, side B opens to a track kicking off with a Slogun vibe, not just because of it's crusty static noise but the underlying hip-hop/industrial melody – this has the "urban" feel of more recent Slogun efforts, to excellent effect in combination with more flanged vocals. If you prefer Consumer Electronics over this, I suppose it's safe to say you're looking at things from a different angle; I'd rather see where Lee is taking things than where Philip Best has been.  Following this, another one of his always-strong instrumental pieces crops up with some killer "traditional" high-end flutter and ghostly background echo loops. I don't know, this is a more hi-fi take on the 80s PE sound? Apologies to all the young guys like me that are still catching up on old stuff and therefore tend to worship it rather than see it as a reference point, but as good as some old Ramleh is, this is the kind of thing I'd rather hear when I hear that stuff. Sorry Gary, Lee's largely got you beat. According to many recent label descriptions, there seems to be a lot of young US projects releasing stuff that's sort of a combination of musique concrete and power electronics; all I know is that although I have my own idea and attempts of that, Lee Howard's style herein could be described as such. As the last described "1980s" piece fades into bassier rumbles, stop/start noise patches, a less pronounced high-end tone, and some eerie reverb-effected vocals, I could not help but make the comparison; there is just something electroacoustic about some of these sounds. Also, I could be wrong, but this appears to be the only IFOTS track where a magnetic tape loop or magnetic tape manipulation is being used; either way, it's kick-ass to say the least. Anyway, instead of reading me kissing ass, go out and buy this tape from Unrest or Analog Worship if you're a Yankee like me.
Another 10/10 flawless piece that isn't necessarily achieving instant greatness in terms of individuality even in the context of IFOTS' own discography, but fulfills all the most crucial requirements superbly nonetheless. Fans of Slogun, Ramleh, Emaciator, and N12 take note.

Kjostad "Like Glass" C30 (Unseen Force)
Stefan Aune's more or less non-noise, industrial-whatever project, Kjostad. Mainly based on field recordings, I'm never disappointed by this relatively new project that seems to be coming out with releases at a rate which I can't keep up with (read = if you have releases by Kjostad to sell, PM me immediately). This tape continues the usual organic, nighttime feel. This is my first occasion to listen to Kjostad during daylight hours and I suppose the sounds strike me as more intrusive in this setting – otherwise they qualify 100% for what constitutes "ambient" to my ears. Besides that, I don't know if there is a more comforting and relaxing project I have heard recently, which is welcomed alongside so much music that's meant to have the opposite effect. This track appears to have underlying echoed loops, which has a great vibe in addition to the calming marshy sounds. Hunting and fishing growing up in Vermont, this project hits a lot of primal bases for me. When the clanking metal sounds kick in, I'm merely sold on the deal – this essentially sounds like a tape recorder inside a Vietnam-issue ammo tin on the edge of a creek. On the B side, stuttering broken tape/electronics give way to some creaking sounds and then atmospheric synthesizer drone. Things get more "musical" although some out there would still probably describe this as musique concrete as opposed to ambient. There are some more distant sounds which might be heavy wind treated via magnetic tape and degraded that give way to occasional clunks, creaking, and rusty scraping overhead in the mix. Feedback sounds pan between left and right adding a nice break to the calm. The insert says "amplifying the edge of the woods at dusk," in this case it's not hyperbole, although for some reason I assume the bird calls on side A to be closer to dawn. I once read Mikko use the term "ruralist noise," if that's what you're looking for, this is it. If you enjoy being outside at all, this project will probably appeal to you. If you like texting from your smartphone in line at the grocery store, probably not.

Caligula 031 "Amria" C?? (Wrath)
   Hate me for honesty if that suits you, but I didn't necessarily fall in love with what little Caligula 031 samples I'd heard via YouTube prior to getting this first physical release I've tracked down. In this case, "Amria," however changes my opinion radically, starting with excellent buzzing underneath the mandatory juicy police sample exploding into static electronics with a nice wet laser tone overlay. The vocal assault is not nearly as buried as what I've already heard, and the enunciation in combination with the barely-present accent is very professional-sounding and commands a lot more than other releases I've listened to and reviewed today, maybe let alone listened to recently. The track fades quickly into coarse static and back to the relevant sample; the investigation continues. Next the track is overtaken by the sample; Caligula031 is generally a concept-oriented project, and perhaps stands out with the strongest releases being those which are entirely concept-based. Even though the electronics seem to overcome the sample a bit too much, the roughness rather than harshness compliments the reverberation perfectly and I hate to beat a dead horse, but the angular sound again brings to mind Forza Albino and other "bulky" sounds. One thing I enjoy is when projects that didn't manage to leave a bruise at first become one I'd definitely like to hear much more of in a track or two, and the A-side has had this effect. I like how there is more of an, I don't know, force to the sound rather than straight-out violence; extremely effective approach that is hard-hitting rather than ripping and savage. Rather than "hate-filled," this sounds tough and uncompromising. That fucking dumb bitch is definitely not sending that little girl to school.  Static and a buzzsaw reverb tone opens the B-side leading to some pretty excellent tonal synthesizer noise workouts. Caligula031 is one of those projects whose gear I perhaps envy in some ways; I imagine Marco can get exactly what's in his head out of each machine. Here, his vocal performance sounds like another character/perspective in the story with the more distant reverb effect and higher equalization. I fucking love that Caligula031 manages to share some similarities with Slogun but retains a restrained sound that is absolutely unique. And I see here Marco is in some ways looking out for the cleanliness of the Irish streets, very good.