PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stipsi

bizarre uproar: triumph (ominous reissue)
Only two words:
FUCK YES.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Krigsverk

Fuck yes indeed! Excellent release.

IDLER - OAF (3" Satatuhatta)

Claims to be "primitive micro-cassette abuse", but it does not sound like that to my ears, but maybe I am a bit ignorant to what can be done with micro-cassettes. Great textured noise, quite a lot of "attack" in the sounds. Also good variation of sounds over the single long track. All in all, a great release with very nice minimal artwork.

Personal note; Damn I love the 3" CD format. To me it fits harsh noise perfectly as the length limits repetition and makes sure it never gets boring. (Almost) all 3" I own are all killers no fillers.   

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Stipsi on March 06, 2024, 07:01:37 PMbizarre uproar: triumph (ominous reissue)
Only two words:
FUCK YES.

Got the original release from Cathartic and it's the release that turned me onto BU. Absolutely love the use of vocal loops on this.
Shikata ga nai.

Theodore

Quote from: Krigsverk on March 07, 2024, 11:11:14 AMPersonal note; Damn I love the 3" CD format. To me it fits harsh noise perfectly as the length limits repetition and makes sure it never gets boring. (Almost) all 3" I own are all killers no fillers.

Agree about length limitation / quality, BUT this tiny discs are a pain in the ass to handle. Cant say i like the format. Just cause of that.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Apes Clog Snag

Recombinants – Splatterfarm tape (Tribe Tapes)

Interesting tape! Zoviet France-like, but also, with AMK? I don't know how to describe this much more than that, but I can tell you I like it. Collaboration of Jacob DeRaadt (known from Sterile Garden) and Max Julian Eastman.

Crank Sturgeon / Sterile Garden tape (ZUIVERINGliederen)

Decided to check what I have from Sterile Garden and this is what I found, and well, it's
bedroom noise sessions and underpass drones Fast Forwarded into a dream state sound collage, stuff that I am definitely into. However it does lose a bit coming after a very very good Crank Sturgeon track. Broken weirdo noise to fish people muzak. I mean it sounds just like Crank Sturgeon.

Where are the CD Reissues of the best rare Crank Sturgeon stuff! And I wonder what those would be?

Krigsverk

MOLD - s/t (CD Satatuhatta)

A project consisting of H.Ö.H. will always get my attention. This is not as murky or strange as H.Ö.H. but more of a "traditional" noisy affair, tape loop work out, loud noise, dynamics... in short, another great CD of what you finns do so damn well. Not to be missed.

MT

So that these won't go under the radar, the two Heppakirjat noise tapes:

Heppakirjat - Don't Know About Dogs, But Rats Ain't Got No Buddha Nature - Die! Die!
Despite extremely bizarre tape title and unmarked sides (arrgh), Heppakirjat presents very mature sound, as in it has basically no beginner flaws, just highly enjoyable material that you can just listen to rather than focus on what's not right. Anyway, tape leans heavily on field recording material, screeching metals, rustling and wincing. Almost in a loop nature, slowly introducing new sounds. There's distinct layers to each element, also some samples in the mix. Second side starts off way more intense, deal is the same, junk metal fest. One could think, how many junk noise tapes can come out of Finland? I can answer; many more! As for the first side, the mix is so nice on this side as well. There's clearly the junk rustling and banging but also more pedal drenched madness as well. They blend very nicely, and it gets really harsh! Cover arts and name of the project gave all the wrong clues. If you came looking for pony books, this just hits you with a sledgehammer.

Heppakirjat - Virgin at The Bus Stop
This tape continues in the vein of the previous one. I have no idea which is the "first" tape, so I'll just treat them as equals. Acoustic metal clatter and pedal noise rumbling aside of it. Atmosphere is bit more on the cunning side, kind of keeps listener on their toes while Heppakirjat arranges their very messy toolbox by throwing tools around, hum of the amplifier letting you know it's ready to roar. And slowly they begin their deathrattle. Very ferocious feedback squealing, metals growl, like molten steel is eating up a factory. Is it by sheer luck but also on this tape the "second side" is more intense than the first. Sound is more heavy and feedback is making appearances more often. Then it just gets real juicy noise avalanche, it's a real pleasure to listen to, especially because the tapes are dubbed loud and soundwise material has very good and crunchy touch.

If you can see'em, grab'em. Cause you won't get another chance.

Fistfuck Masonanie

V/A - The Remains of Wasted World CD (Creston Club)

Fantastic new compilation of young and newer Japanese artists. Love the endearing improper English title. Tracks range from 3 minutes to 22 minutes per artist. Most of these artists only have appearances on comps, a couple of splits, or privately released tapes. Don't think the majority have a proper album.

Skin Job - more industrial and PE focused artist. Starts off with some interesting radio play. Delves into hypnotic metal work and highly processed vocals. Not super flanged though. Really good kick off to the comp.

Spore Spawn - the only artist on the comp I'm familiar with. Super detailed cut-up sounds. Highest caliber noise. His album Dousekurunode on 16 Shots per Second and the tape Owaranaikedo on New Forces are amazing. This ten-minute track stretches and explores a lot of space. There are sections of treated field recordings and drone segments, not all super fast or harsh. It all flows extremely well. Another example of why he is one of the best in this style going right now. Fans of Endo's later material under his own name take notice.

P.O.V - Harsh and spastic. Lots of oscillators and squiggly sounds. White noise washes and digital stutters. Rapid and cutting sounds a plenty.

YI SEUNGGYU - Actually a Korean-born artist who currently resides in Japan. VERY different style and approach from the last two fast-paced and cut-up artists. More slow-going and gradually developing oscillations.

S-B-B - This track is a highly disorienting mash-up of noise and sampled video game sounds. Feels like a Hunter S. Thompson acid trip walking through a 90's mall video arcade. The artist also has an album on the Creston Club Bandcamp page titled, kousaten which is also a highly detailed cut-up Japanese noise album very much worth everyone's time if you aren't turned off by digital sounds, I recommend checking it out

rirongg - this artist plays in the digital realm well..., much better than most. Though it's obvious there are a lot of digital sources or editing methods present, I can immediately enjoy how he uses his tools to augment the sounds in a really unique way. Stretching the sounds and pushing others to harsher extremes. Short but sweet 3 minutes, actually one of my favorites on the comp.

Leecher - final 22 minute closer to this highly impressive compilation. There is a lot of space for the development of clashing metal, searing textures and feedback, and slow-growing rumbles. After the first 10 or 12 minutes, it turns into a total cut-up noisefest bludgeoning.

An extremely talented display of power among the new Japanese elite. Thanks to Oxen Records who initially stocked this in the US. Incredible survey of lesser-known Japanese prodigies. Highly enjoyed this comp.

FreakAnimalFinland

Ars Sonitus "Kairos" CD
Hand made packaging, CD screwed inside crucifix. I would be surprised if many people knew this artists while ago, but I was so enthusiastic about his work, hoped more people will notice it. Asked guys from Poland to translate his interview into English that came out on Special Interests #16 that came out while ago. Artist is quite hermit. Comes from communist era Poland and got exposed to TG in one of his trips to UK in 70's. All things in his story are strange. Guy who wasn't caring much for music, until heard the real deal industrial. His tapes or existence used to be known only be the most devoted Polish experimental music fans. Some of stuff came out on compilations, but these new couple special packaged albums are something that capture the vibe of "industrial noise" so perfectly. Being editions of 100 copies available only from label who put them out, I'd guess he'll remain obscurity. I have listened this CD repeatedly since I got it. This one even better than Transfuturism manifesto CD.
While I say "industrial noise", I mean exactly that. Its not utterly harsh, but it is not "music". There are lots of noisy sounds clattering with loops grinding, mechanic sounds, chants, but there is always happening things, new elements coming in, manually processing things that are happening. It is not monotonic in bad way. Not at all. Linked sample gives you a bit of idea, yet it isn't all there is. Very different type of songs. If you like Vivenza, SAT Stoicizmo, Entre Vifs, old Le Syndicat, and things somewhere in those lines, I am pretty sure Ars Sonitus hits hard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHr1NNoHGI
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Manhog_84

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on March 07, 2024, 11:52:51 AM
Quote from: Stipsi on March 06, 2024, 07:01:37 PMbizarre uproar: triumph (ominous reissue)
Only two words:
FUCK YES.

Got the original release from Cathartic and it's the release that turned me onto BU. Absolutely love the use of vocal loops on this.

Cannot have enough BU. Even though this is a compilation, it works as an album due to consistent sound and style from the same period. I tried to gather up from Discogs does this contain material not released on anywhere else. Hate Metal, I Will Cut Your Fucking Head Off and Puhdasta Vihaa I&II doesn't seem to be on any other release. Three untitled tracks don't match other releases from the same period...Maybe it would be easier just to ask the man himself. That longer sterilisaatio track is from The Cherry Point/Gelsomina split and not released on other compilations. So yeah, worth getting even if you already own some of the material.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: Manhog_84 on March 20, 2024, 07:11:56 PM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on March 07, 2024, 11:52:51 AM
Only two words:
FUCK YES.

Cannot have enough BU. Even though this is a compilation, it works as an album due to consistent sound and style from the same period. I tried to gather up from Discogs does this contain material not released on anywhere else. Hate Metal, I Will Cut Your Fucking Head Off and Puhdasta Vihaa I&II doesn't seem to be on any other release. Three untitled tracks don't match other releases from the same period...Maybe it would be easier just to ask the man himself. That longer sterilisaatio track is from The Cherry Point/Gelsomina split and not released on other compilations. So yeah, worth getting even if you already own some of the material.

I agree. There is no such thing as too much Bizarre Uproar. Bizarre Uproar is one of those projects you're either all the way into or not as much. I think Macronympha can be a bit like that too.

Krigsverk

Tyhjä Pää – Prolonged Troubles In Concentration And Memory (Satatuhatta)

Amazing album that feels like Merzbow in his prime but with a bit of cut-up feeling added to it. The crisp and dynamic sound production really elevates this also. Again, surprisingly good and never gets boring. Full on assault of the senses.

Haare - Submagic (Dunkelheit)

Probably the best Haare I have in my collection (a far from complete collection though). Very nice dronescapes, quite subdued on the noisy parts. It´s like endless drones to get lost in, just floating away... sometimes you can hear a guitar in the reverb drenched soundscape that comes and goes. A great album to listen to while chilling in the couch. 

Merzbow - Exoking (Old Captain)

A waste of plastic.

Stipsi

the gerogerigegege: none friendly
Probably the ambientish albums of gerogerigegege are my favourite.
This one and hell driver are my favorite of their discography.
I'm sure is not a very popular option, but their melancholic side is the most honest.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Fistfuck Masonanie

JSH - Rev 13:6 CD (OXEN)

This CD absolutely fucking crushes. God damn! The artist has a very strong opinion, which he expresses in Special Interests #16, regarding his favorite kind of noise and the noise he likes to create. Hard to argue with the results of that process here haha.

The last release on Phage Tapes, Rev Job 16:9, was also a complete gut punch, but this new album takes it to the next level. The artist's general process is that everything is done in one take to get a live feel and no overdubs. Full rock 'em sock 'em rock and roll vibes.

The only exception to the one take and no overdubs rule is the final track on this album which contains some help from a few friends. Some junk source material provided by Richard Ramirez, Bizarre Uproar, and Claudio Frassine from Mademoiselle Bistouri.

If you are looking for harsh, this is it.

cr

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 20, 2024, 10:23:01 AMArs Sonitus "Kairos" CD
Hand made packaging, CD screwed inside crucifix. I would be surprised if many people knew this artists while ago, but I was so enthusiastic about his work, hoped more people will notice it. Asked guys from Poland to translate his interview into English that came out on Special Interests #16 that came out while ago. Artist is quite hermit. Comes from communist era Poland and got exposed to TG in one of his trips to UK in 70's. All things in his story are strange. Guy who wasn't caring much for music, until heard the real deal industrial. His tapes or existence used to be known only be the most devoted Polish experimental music fans. Some of stuff came out on compilations, but these new couple special packaged albums are something that capture the vibe of "industrial noise" so perfectly. Being editions of 100 copies available only from label who put them out, I'd guess he'll remain obscurity. I have listened this CD repeatedly since I got it. This one even better than Transfuturism manifesto CD.
While I say "industrial noise", I mean exactly that. Its not utterly harsh, but it is not "music". There are lots of noisy sounds clattering with loops grinding, mechanic sounds, chants, but there is always happening things, new elements coming in, manually processing things that are happening. It is not monotonic in bad way. Not at all. Linked sample gives you a bit of idea, yet it isn't all there is. Very different type of songs. If you like Vivenza, SAT Stoicizmo, Entre Vifs, old Le Syndicat, and things somewhere in those lines, I am pretty sure Ars Sonitus hits hard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHr1NNoHGI

Thank you very much for introduction! Got those CDs from Impulsy. But goddamn, all my screwdrivers are still at my ex's house, so I can't even listen to Καιρός CD this weekend, haha. But let's see, maybe a knife can do the job as well.
Transfuturism Manifesto is also very good, I like it a lot!