PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I recall someone said RECOMNINANTS "Splatterfarm" tape is good. Yes, very very good! Max Eastman + Jacob DeRaadt doing something that I would perhaps refer to 80's Merzbow with current day tape noise feel to it. Always busy sound collage of all sorts of sources, including bits of "improv"/instruments, but mostly physical, not harshly distorted sound sources that neatly saturate together. Instant re-plays are needed!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A Et si c'�é�tait le Vent qui avait Raison ? LP
This comp was one of the most played items week ago. Would listen multiple times a day and just felt tempted to re-listen over and over again. Not even sure why exactly, but it may be partly because of little challenge and surprises and everybody being kind of surprising.
Vincent Jehanno first sounding like.. nah, granular / contemporary tech heavy processing, but it is good. Alice Kemp doing weird experimental with string sounds repeating and suffocated digital sounds. Brb>Voicecoil continues about the similar, almost glitchy. But works. Leif Elggren then comes with something that sounds like just playing turntable arm with something. Jeph Jerman with eerie droning sound on the back and wood, twig crackling and metal sounds on top. Yeast Culture great sound collage, lo-fi and charming. Aliénor Golvet kind of electro-acoustic/musique concrete, field recordings, all thrown into mix. Sound collage, perhaps best way to describe it. Anne Gillis piece borders currently popular ASMR recordings. Wispers, maybe even phone recording with its digital low-bit-rate vibe at times.
This came out as CD and LP, I've been listening to LP that sounds somehow better than the bandcamp version. Perhaps the mood or little extra dirt. Couple of songs are not something I normally like, but especially Leif, Jeph, Yeast so good - and rest kind of compliment that mood with their stuff.

https://fernsrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/et-si-c-tait-le-vent-qui-avait-raison

Fistfuck Masonanie

Richard Ramirez - Eye Contact CD (Oxen Records)

A well-composed and narrative set of tracks from Richard. The theme to the album seems to be tension, anxiety, and the thrill of the unknown.

The first track has a great balance of metalwork, feedback, and droning tones undulating below the surface. The piece develops and has segments that slowly crescendo and progress but surprisingly don't turn into a full-out harsh maelstrom. Rare restraint from Richard!

Rope Ladder Part 1 and 2 follow the first track to some extent as they are carefully curated examples of tension. A variety of sounds percolate at the surface looking to erupt but remain at a boil keeping you guessing when things will escalate. There are long-form samples of sex but they are used very minimally underneath the sounds of both tracks and add to the tension and atmosphere and are infused perfectly with the sounds so as to not become the focus.

Track 4 is the most minimal piece on the album, but perhaps the most enticing. Industrial soundscapes screeching in the far recesses of the audio spectrum. A texture of mechanical rhythms occupy the not-to-distant foreground. It sounds like sitting outside a factory and taking in the beautiful sounds with the help of some subtle psychedelics.

The final track brings things home with the most upfront harshness so far. A fuller scope of ripping and roaring sounds with plenty of activity. Love the contrast between the last track and this finale.

A unique and rewarding release that stands apart. Richard has been showcasing a more restrained and nuanced side of his solo work recently. A truly exceptional artist and even after all this time, he still surprises.

Krigsverk

PAIN NAIL - a lot of it...

Been on a PN bender for the last week, and it is very rewarding. I dont know why PN has not gained more attention (or maybe I missed it), but every release is pure gold. A mix of metal junk, classic PE, noisy, dark, brooding and varied approach every time. May the new re-issues reach many new listeners!

FreakAnimalFinland

I think this may apply to most Finn power electronics/industrial bands, that they are appreciated, but very few made into kind of... household names in genre? However, Pain Nail does have pretty high number in pressings. Only the very latest ones been pressed merely 300 (Salainen Diktatuuri just sold out, Veren Seisauttava Oppi, I got only couple), but older album, even Magneettinen Kohtalo reached 1000 copies with recent repress, so there is some attention at least. Perhaps these days when no social media, no website, no interview, no streaming albums, etc.. there is no visibility which some associate with lack of attention? In some ways, it is true, but in other ways, we got artists who are very visible but barely sell more than handful of releases.

Talking about the "handful of tapes" category, it is no any sort of derogatory remark, just fact, hah... I felt little hesitating discuss these in English as one may not be able to get them outside Finland. Could have posted this into Finn noise topic too:

THE DAY OF THE ANTLER new tape 2024
I'm not quite sure what the name of this would be, but c-15 tape came out this year and contains Leakage and Bunker Trash Ritual -songs, which must be even the noisiest Antler stuff? Good stuff and this isn't totally harsh yet, but with the packaging and other vibes, that rural industrial vibe is still present. Neat simple "special packaging" that give each tape that from-hands-of-the-artists vibe.

Haudat "Magneettikentät ja tuhkapatsaat" tape, translates as "Magnetic fields and ash statues", came a while ago, but I didn't get my hands on it until the weekend. A very excellent continuation of the Haudat mood, played several times and as stated before, the man has the sound, a good taste of what kind of timbre and tone it is good to have. Self released and probably gone by now?

Heppakirjat "Free Wheeling" tape  Broader sound sources than before, different ones too, but there's some sort of junk here and quite a bit of brutal noise too! This time man doesn't use any pedals, and there is focus on sources that are overdriven with tape gear, I guess! Good recycled self released tape, already rotated a few times.

RAUTAKYMI "pinta" tape. This new project is progressing very well and fast. I recommend it to lovers of a really raw and rough sound, a match that doesn't seem to have much "technique". It's hard to say if there are any pedals, no synths, but maybe just raw physical or feedback-based noise, all-on-max tape sound is probably one of the main elements here and brings feeling of KDF/KADEF/ODAL/oldest RAMIREZ, etc.

Moran

JORDMENNESKE - Havet Er Å Puste

Multilayered synths, metal objects, string instrument and sounds of water and wind, with lots of what sounds like tape saturation, flutter and volume fluctuation. Most of the sounds are mellow, soothing and just coarse enough to be satisfying. Sounds recur with subtle new details each instance alongside continually changing noise. The pretty artwork complements the sounds well.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Taint - dau ghter: Victimology 2 CD (Freak Animal)

I don't know what I was thinking listening to this first thing in the morning to start my day... bleak bleak bleak album. Very much an atmospheric release as there are probably just as much, or more, interviews than actual noise. Really selective and brutal interviews with individuals or family members who experienced rape, kidnappings, or abductions. Haunting shit that will stay with you. In between the interviews are stark, crass, and cold power electronics you could imagine would come from someone who would have committed these heinous crimes.

Kind of a challenging listen as the noise/power electronics is almost secondary, but a very strong and unique release.

Going to need something uplifting to cleanse me of this filth and provide a more uplifting start to the rest of my weekend.

morbid_dyspepsia

Quote from: Krigsverk on July 08, 2023, 10:01:33 AMVeprisuicida - Heavy metal cyclothymia/Oskoplenie/Radio Stigmata/Vaginacentrism (IR CD versions)

Been cranking these discs in my car the last few weeks and I love them, a big thanks to the label for unearthing these gems! Before I picked these up I had never even heard about the project, even though I am very familiar with Linjia Mass. Amazing how these have not gained more popularity; a great mix of harsh noise, experimental sounds and god knows what. Need to pick up the rest of the reissues.

I was blown away when I heard these releases...