PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaoskultti

Do you mean on the albums I've reviewed or on M.I.A's discography?
ZOB ZYGGLAN - Brazilian Power Electronics - https://zobzygglan.bandcamp.com/

Skin Flick

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on March 25, 2026, 10:41:50 PM
Quote from: Kaaoskultti on March 25, 2026, 10:20:50 PMSome of my recently listened albums:

Coma Detox – Reduced to an Invalid (self-released, 2009)
Insane vocals, sewer production, maniacal dynamics – a cacophony of white noise blended with feedback oscillations scratching here and there, often in a monotonous way, creating an ominous atmosphere that builds up and falls just at the perfect timing. Walls of gorgeously crafted crunch, furthermore dirtied by filthy production upon which one of the most notable voices of millennium PE screams violence at. The music and general aesthetics of this project is quite unique, albeit I can take a fetid whiff from Taint and Bizarre Uproar as major influences of such at. Listening to this release for the third time, and each one I like it more. Truly repulsive and humiliating noise that acts out as the soundtrack for brutal physical debasement as stated on the title. Title track has some really brutal clattering of sound waves and oozing low-feedback.

Enephalophonic – Chronicity of a Disease (Self Abuse records, 2011)
Really well-crafted haphazard noise, focusing on mental illness and the labor therein. All the stages sound like aural descriptions of the development of an unnerving turmoil, with all its complex transformations taking place from a polymorphous substance brought forth by reality's unending appeal towards self-immolation. Repetitive, compulsive passages melt into one another until it's virtually impossible to differentiate them from the collection to which they're subscribed into. Monotonous, yet brilliant texture work colliding endlessly with an integral vision by which they're moved altogether. Music reminiscent of Macronympha, but faster and more mechanical.

Seymour Glass - The Grudgery of Drucks (No Rent, 2025)
One of the weirdest albums I've ever heard, conceived as a surreal collection of eldritch sounds and words, all joint together in a mostly unusual, musique concrete-ish manner. But instead of intellectual music, the assemblage of sounds here operates in nothing sort of a highbrow sense. Not as confrontational as usual PE. Kaleidoscopic and very confusing, to say the least – not my cup of tea, rather a really hot cup of coffee that is unpleasant at first, but which leaves us satisfied and with a thirst for more during the day. I guess the whole cassette functions as musical critique of the work dynamics in modern days and its toll on the psyche.

Cisfinitum – Monochrome (NEN Records, 2018)
Ethereal Industrial noise. Sounds more like an IDM/Techno album than anything else, but I've came across it justly while using this forum. Everything here is very relaxing and well-paced, with long tracks that never get boring on account of their sound constellation being really well assembled. More mechanical and electronic-driven than the occasional dark ambient projects which pop up around here; reminds of me artists like Autechre, Boards of Canada, Hecq, and Access to Arasaka – needless to say I don't know much IDM and maybe can't differentiate well between nuances of certain musical similarities. Abuw has addicting noises and sounds closer to PE/Industrial in terms of structure and sound, albeit from a quite different territory. Soft noise?

M.I.A. - There's a Market for Everything (Bacteria Field, 2021)
The gruesome cover of this release sums up all of its intensity, described through harrowing samples, degrading, pulsating electronics, and disgusted vocals. Everything here stems from, as the second track puts it, total negation – a relentless exposition of the tiniest areas of the world where we would be traumatized to peek at and prefer to only acknowledge in euphemistic terms, in order for the subject matter not to maniphest itself thoroughly. Sadly, as far as it goes, musically it doesn't do much for me. Everything is quite formulaic, albeit genuinely presented. But it definitely gets boring overtime. Although I really liked their I Love You, can't imagine myself re-listening to this one more than a second time, perhaps.

Umpio – Milksnake EP (Nekrorekords, 2025)
Stellar release, with tons of metal junk work, harsh white and black noises, and excellent composition – curious to understand what would make such an abstract endeavor sound compositionally 'good', although I do feel it when it comes to my ears. Very uneasy listening.

Abysse dês ames – Sielun Kuilu (Keila, 2026)
One of my favorite albums this year, and yet another on the musique-concrete side of modern noise – a more somber, intellectual approach to a finely crafted release, with lots of musical depth and sensitivity. Truly a genius release, mixing more highbrow aspects of experimental music with the clattering of metals, feedback work and other strange noises.

I really like select tracks from M.I.A. (especially the first track on his split with Bizarre Uproar), but too many releases seem to go into the direction of rather uninteresting pseudo-ambient.  As a result of that, I can't say there is any album that I like in its entirety, leaving me thinking I should just burn a personal "best of..." CDr.

Feel this. He's a good guy but other projects of his speak more to me. Of the M.I.A. stuff, I'm particularly fond of "I Love You", "One Man's Trash..." and "There's A Market..."

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: prolapsedlielack on March 25, 2026, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on March 25, 2026, 10:41:50 PM
Quote from: Kaaoskultti on March 25, 2026, 10:20:50 PMSome of my recently listened albums:

Coma Detox – Reduced to an Invalid (self-released, 2009)
Insane vocals, sewer production, maniacal dynamics – a cacophony of white noise blended with feedback oscillations scratching here and there, often in a monotonous way, creating an ominous atmosphere that builds up and falls just at the perfect timing. Walls of gorgeously crafted crunch, furthermore dirtied by filthy production upon which one of the most notable voices of millennium PE screams violence at. The music and general aesthetics of this project is quite unique, albeit I can take a fetid whiff from Taint and Bizarre Uproar as major influences of such at. Listening to this release for the third time, and each one I like it more. Truly repulsive and humiliating noise that acts out as the soundtrack for brutal physical debasement as stated on the title. Title track has some really brutal clattering of sound waves and oozing low-feedback.

Enephalophonic – Chronicity of a Disease (Self Abuse records, 2011)
Really well-crafted haphazard noise, focusing on mental illness and the labor therein. All the stages sound like aural descriptions of the development of an unnerving turmoil, with all its complex transformations taking place from a polymorphous substance brought forth by reality's unending appeal towards self-immolation. Repetitive, compulsive passages melt into one another until it's virtually impossible to differentiate them from the collection to which they're subscribed into. Monotonous, yet brilliant texture work colliding endlessly with an integral vision by which they're moved altogether. Music reminiscent of Macronympha, but faster and more mechanical.

Seymour Glass - The Grudgery of Drucks (No Rent, 2025)
One of the weirdest albums I've ever heard, conceived as a surreal collection of eldritch sounds and words, all joint together in a mostly unusual, musique concrete-ish manner. But instead of intellectual music, the assemblage of sounds here operates in nothing sort of a highbrow sense. Not as confrontational as usual PE. Kaleidoscopic and very confusing, to say the least – not my cup of tea, rather a really hot cup of coffee that is unpleasant at first, but which leaves us satisfied and with a thirst for more during the day. I guess the whole cassette functions as musical critique of the work dynamics in modern days and its toll on the psyche.

Cisfinitum – Monochrome (NEN Records, 2018)
Ethereal Industrial noise. Sounds more like an IDM/Techno album than anything else, but I've came across it justly while using this forum. Everything here is very relaxing and well-paced, with long tracks that never get boring on account of their sound constellation being really well assembled. More mechanical and electronic-driven than the occasional dark ambient projects which pop up around here; reminds of me artists like Autechre, Boards of Canada, Hecq, and Access to Arasaka – needless to say I don't know much IDM and maybe can't differentiate well between nuances of certain musical similarities. Abuw has addicting noises and sounds closer to PE/Industrial in terms of structure and sound, albeit from a quite different territory. Soft noise?

M.I.A. - There's a Market for Everything (Bacteria Field, 2021)
The gruesome cover of this release sums up all of its intensity, described through harrowing samples, degrading, pulsating electronics, and disgusted vocals. Everything here stems from, as the second track puts it, total negation – a relentless exposition of the tiniest areas of the world where we would be traumatized to peek at and prefer to only acknowledge in euphemistic terms, in order for the subject matter not to maniphest itself thoroughly. Sadly, as far as it goes, musically it doesn't do much for me. Everything is quite formulaic, albeit genuinely presented. But it definitely gets boring overtime. Although I really liked their I Love You, can't imagine myself re-listening to this one more than a second time, perhaps.

Umpio – Milksnake EP (Nekrorekords, 2025)
Stellar release, with tons of metal junk work, harsh white and black noises, and excellent composition – curious to understand what would make such an abstract endeavor sound compositionally 'good', although I do feel it when it comes to my ears. Very uneasy listening.

Abysse dês ames – Sielun Kuilu (Keila, 2026)
One of my favorite albums this year, and yet another on the musique-concrete side of modern noise – a more somber, intellectual approach to a finely crafted release, with lots of musical depth and sensitivity. Truly a genius release, mixing more highbrow aspects of experimental music with the clattering of metals, feedback work and other strange noises.

I really like select tracks from M.I.A. (especially the first track on his split with Bizarre Uproar), but too many releases seem to go into the direction of rather uninteresting pseudo-ambient.  As a result of that, I can't say there is any album that I like in its entirety, leaving me thinking I should just burn a personal "best of..." CDr.

Feel this. He's a good guy but other projects of his speak more to me. Of the M.I.A. stuff, I'm particularly fond of "I Love You", "One Man's Trash..." and "There's A Market..."

I'm probably blanking on something obvious, but what are his other projects?  I just know he's the guy behind Neons.

Skin Flick

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on March 25, 2026, 11:53:30 PMI really like select tracks from M.I.A. (especially the first track on his split with Bizarre Uproar), but too many releases seem to go into the direction of rather uninteresting pseudo-ambient.  As a result of that, I can't say there is any album that I like in its entirety, leaving me thinking I should just burn a personal "best of..." CDr.

Feel this. He's a good guy but other projects of his speak more to me. Of the M.I.A. stuff, I'm particularly fond of "I Love You", "One Man's Trash..." and "There's A Market..."
[/quote]

I'm probably blanking on something obvious, but what are his other projects?  I just know he's the guy behind Neons.
[/quote]

X-813, Skin Mask and Cracked. His mixtapes are also amazing!

Kaaoskultti

Skin Mask, Skin Crime, Skin Graft, Skin Area... are there more?
ZOB ZYGGLAN - Brazilian Power Electronics - https://zobzygglan.bandcamp.com/

Krigsverk

Skinsaw. Just one album released, very harsh and nice.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: prolapsedlielack on March 26, 2026, 02:48:26 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on March 25, 2026, 11:53:30 PMI really like select tracks from M.I.A. (especially the first track on his split with Bizarre Uproar), but too many releases seem to go into the direction of rather uninteresting pseudo-ambient.  As a result of that, I can't say there is any album that I like in its entirety, leaving me thinking I should just burn a personal "best of..." CDr.

Feel this. He's a good guy but other projects of his speak more to me. Of the M.I.A. stuff, I'm particularly fond of "I Love You", "One Man's Trash..." and "There's A Market..."

I'm probably blanking on something obvious, but what are his other projects?  I just know he's the guy behind Neons.
[/quote]

X-813, Skin Mask and Cracked. His mixtapes are also amazing!
[/quote]

Interesting!  I know of Skin Mask, and how could I forget the mixtapes!  (And the Jamie Gillis tape...)

Obedient2

The MIA/Kansas Purity split from last year is great. Heavy, straight-forward PE done really well.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: prelapsus on March 27, 2026, 02:26:44 AMThe MIA/Kansas Purity split from last year is great. Heavy, straight-forward PE done really well.

This is probably the only release from him that I have yet to listen to, so I will check it out.  I think the announcement for this was also my first time hearing of Kansas Purity, and the name stuck with me for being so seemingly odd yet specific.


k.p.g

Black Leather Jesus - Bondage (Deadline Recordings)
An excellent, lo-fi affair; while there are cuts between jams cropping up, this one mostly rides the course of crunchy bashing.  Mic feedback is used as a flavorful weapon.  The early industrial influence that inspired Ramirez to create is here.  I feel like modern Black Leather Jesus is easier to trace back to this than the next release I am about to discuss, which is....

Black Leather Jesus - Crossburnt (E.F. Tapes)
Holy shit, YES!  Now here we have the band in dynamic hellfire.  Great lineup with Lin, Gilden, Bailey, Hunt and Ramirez.  Think this version of the band whipped out a couple classics under their belts.  More familiar BLJ aficionados can testify on that part.  But back to Crossburnt - it moves all over the place.  You have that lo-fi crunch, PE whimpering, guitars dying, stereo panning blasts that can compete with the best in cut-up.  But for me, best part probably has to be the sampling work at play.  When I heard Pearl Jam's "Black" in all its slowed down glory creep into the mix, I had to rewind. 
"Oh my god, to be so open with it.  Why is there only so little of it?!  Damn Richard Ramirez and his penchant for doing things in one take..."
Yes, yes, YES; I love this one a lot.  It's that kind of noise that puts everything else to shame.  You can't do it better.  Could anyone do it better?  Don't think so.

Solar Yolk - Specimen Needling (Fusty Cunt)
Psychedelic tape roaming that tows the line between slow churn and breakneck cuts very well.  I think the B Side is shining for me more than the A.  This is an artist whose work I am not as yet privy to, but am glad I took the chance with it in this new Fusty.  Recommended grip if you can grab it.
Dead Door Unit
French Market Press
etc.

Minus1

#9761
Scathing - A Capital Beneath The Waves.

6 tracks/73+min. 2021.

Well, this is my first experience with Scathing. Here's a Dude who lives up to his name!

Kenny has posted a bit at S+W. Is he here?

And what is it with Noise and Texas? I swear, most of my Noise box sets are Texas! Wtf? I absolutely detest "Texas Politics". There must be a connection! 😂

But I digress. This is fucking great Harsh Noise, with some jagged edges and stop/starts, and me checking my oldass CD player a couple of times to make sure it isn't skipping.

This behemoth does get rather droney and introspective later in the journey. It's a varied affair. Spacious junk rearrangement also enters the fray. And then it gets...erm...scathing again at the end. Quite an arc, this. Fucking wonderful.

I know that is not much of a review. Sue me. And thank you, Kenny. 

(And I'm starting to wonder if Grant Richardson masters ALL Noise CDs.) 😂

Antihumanism

Quote from: Minus1 on March 28, 2026, 04:34:56 AMScathing - A Capital Beneath The Waves.

6 tracks/73+min. 2021.

Well, this is my first experience with Scathing. Here's a Dude who lives up to his name!

Kenny has posted a bit at S+W. Is he here?

And what is it with Noise and Texas? I swear, most of my Noise box sets are Texas! Wtf? I absolutely detest "Texas Politics". There must be a connection! 😂

But I digress. This is fucking great Harsh Noise, with some jagged edges and stop/starts, and me checking my oldass CD player a couple of times to make sure it isn't skipping.

This behemoth does get rather droney and introspective later in the journey. It's a varied affair. Spacious junk rearrangement also enters the fray. And then it gets...erm...scathing again at the end. Quite an arc, this. Fucking wonderful.

I know that is not much of a review. Sue me. And thank you, Kenny. 

(And I'm starting to wonder if Grant Richardson masters ALL Noise CDs.) 😂


Indeed VERY good, got plenty of releases from him.

Obedient2

Discovered Richard Ramirez- I Keep My Stuff Inside thanks to recent CD reissue by OEC. I am a big fan of BLJ and Richard's other projects and kicking myself I didn't hear this one sooner. Way more PE than the harsh noise sound I associate him with and it's excellent. I Keep My Stuff Inside/Let Me In. Says so much without saying much at all. An excellent release.

Minus1

Quote from: prelapsus on March 28, 2026, 01:07:36 PMDiscovered Richard Ramirez- I Keep My Stuff Inside thanks to recent CD reissue by OEC. I am a big fan of BLJ and Richard's other projects and kicking myself I didn't hear this one sooner. Way more PE than the harsh noise sound I associate him with and it's excellent. I Keep My Stuff Inside/Let Me In. Says so much without saying much at all. An excellent release.

Good to hear, because this one is on the way to me. While sampling this one I thought it was..."special"...even for RR!