PLAYLIST with COMMENTS/REVIEWS

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 15, 2009, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadpriest

Drowning in all things Maurice De Jong at the minute (apart from It Only Gets Worse). Some people find Stalaggh's out put darker than Gnaw Their Tongues, I disagree.

Gnaw their tongues
De Magia Veterum
SEIROM
Cloak Of Altering
TEMPLE OF WILL
Pyriphlegethon
CAPUT MORTUUM
ASTRAL
Gnaw their tongues
OPHIUCHUS
even ASTRAL (dude's earliest project)

I hope this mood doesn't lift for a while
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

vomitgore

CON-DOM - Shards of Ordnance (Industrial Recollections)

I have always been pretty open with the fact that I am not that keen on Con-Dom. It's not bad, but I have only heard very little from the project that I would see as brilliant. Apart from that, the whole Cultural Terrorism thing isn't really that much up my alley (although I enjoy it, if it's done well). However, after playing the "Three Pillars of Controlled Domination" (which is more than astounding) I decided to dive into Con-Dom once again. First of all, the presentation is awesome, but that shouldn't be news to anyone. The majority of disc 1 worked very well as murky and actually quite experimental noise. Good, if not VERY good, but not really what I was anticipating after the Unrest folks had set the mood with their tribute, heh. I am sure I will enjoy this much more when knowing what to expect of it. Disc 2 turned out to be extremely ripping and well executed. Especially the tracks where gutter noise sounds are dominated by Mike's vocals. Sometimes, I had the feeling that only the crudest and most minimalistic means were at the artist's disposal, but the track just HAD to be done. Highly interesting!

holy ghost

Miles Davis - Big Fun: I have had the double CD "expanded edition" forever but I recently scored an original LP verion - this is such a total hot banger, Miles in total nuts fusion mode - all kinds of unique instrumentation, studio effects, and a killer half hour track, "Go Ahead John" that's an outtake from the Jack Johnson sessions. It's totally killer, as good as anything on JJ and worth the price of admission alone. I think there's so much extra stuff on the CD version I find the entire thing kind of overwhelming, although more of this era isn't a bad thing. But just having the four tracks alone, is really something. Killer fusion era Miles record.

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica: this is as weird today as when I first heard it, and never gets old. It's been great to have some time and actually play the whole thing, side after side. Current favs are China Pig and Sugar n' Spikes.

Evan Parker & John Wiese - C-Section: holy shit, this is such a great weird album. I love both these guys on their own but together it's totally unique. More than just a "sax and noise" kind of deal. Way more "out" than what you'd expect from pairing these guys together.

Le Orme - Felona E Sorona: I hadn't played this in years, and recently saw a 2xLP reissue in a store, but it was priced at $80 for a new record. It got me to dig out my CD copy and give it a spin - very much like Van Der Graaf Generator mood wise, pretty cool. Not $80 cool though. I would have paid $35, tops.

Zeno Marx

V/A Sub 1984 - there's a lot of shit on here that I don't like, but there are some pretty great, unique songs here and there (both by the same bands).
Effigy - Evil Fragments 1999 - I think I like the 7" more than this, but it has been a while - the vocals really remind me of something from the 80s, and it is driving me nuts; I got the song, but not the band.
Catasexual Urge Motivation - Death to Pigs 2013 - because I didn't know this existed until today - I don't like this as much today as yesterday, but it still makes me grin.
Vastum - Hole Below 2015 - on my "best of the year" list - love the vibe they have going here; dark/evil psychedelia - not sure how I feel about the vocals sometimes; the effects are heavy-handed and almost too much.
Tetsu Arrey - IV 2014 - I like three things about this album: 1) great bass sound 2) they write songs 3) the vocals.  I might never listen to this again.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

Quote from: vomitgore on December 26, 2015, 05:24:36 PM

I have always been pretty open with the fact that I am not that keen on Con-Dom. It's not bad, but I have only heard very little from the project that I would see as brilliant. Apart from that, the whole Cultural Terrorism thing isn't really that much up my alley (although I enjoy it, if it's done well). However, after playing the "Three Pillars of Controlled Domination" (which is more than astounding) I decided to dive into Con-Dom once again. First of all, the presentation is awesome, but that shouldn't be news to anyone. The majority of disc 1 worked very well as murky and actually quite experimental noise. Good, if not VERY good, but not really what I was anticipating after the Unrest folks had set the mood with their tribute, heh. I am sure I will enjoy this much more when knowing what to expect of it. Disc 2 turned out to be extremely ripping and well executed. Especially the tracks where gutter noise sounds are dominated by Mike's vocals. Sometimes, I had the feeling that only the crudest and most minimalistic means were at the artist's disposal, but the track just HAD to be done. Highly interesting!

If you don't have it already, I recommend getting the Waging War Against You CD which has the Con-Dom and Grey Wolves tracks from the War Against Society 3LP. I got the CD a few days ago and I'm glad I bought it after some hesitation. I was on the fence about buying it because I know very little Con-Dom and I had the same opinion about it as you. I collected almost all of the 7"'s in the Sermons series after reading the Con-Dom thread on SI, and while some of them are really good, I found others to be nothing special. I don't care much for the Have Complete Faith CD -- although maybe I should listen to it again, since, strangely enough, when I recently listened to the Intolerable split tape with Grey Wolves, I loved it, even though it's the same kind of murky, primitive noise/PE that I remember Have Complete Faith being. Anyway, the tracks on Waging War Against You are good to great (Torch being my favourite) and together they form an excellent first half of the CD (playtime-wise, it's more than half, actually). Your description of "murky and actually quite experimental noise" fits it well. I'm now curious about Shards of Ordnance and will definitely order it.
Another reason to buy Waging War Against You is the Grey Wolves track which is absolutely mindblowing!

SiClark

Quote from: acsenger on December 27, 2015, 10:52:25 AM
Another reason to buy Waging War Against You is the Grey Wolves track which is absolutely mindblowing!
I could listen to that track on repeat all day, it's superb.

martialgodmask

Ryoji Ikeda - +/- - both perfect driving album and horrendous in equal parts. The frequency fun is quite soothing mostly but some of the shifts and subtleties can be rather distracting.

SunnO))) - Kannon - I have always been unashamedly a big fan of Sunn and quite dismissive of the notion that they're only good as a live experience. Ther recorded experience has always been different, but not worse. Anyway, Kannon is a little more back to basics guitar drone, less oppressive than the likes of 00Void or Grimrobe Demos but it feels more stripped back than later works - maybe White2 is a good reference point. Vocals still present but less prominent. Won't create new fans but if you're already on board with them I don't see why you wouldn't be with this one too.

Phurpa - The Magic Rituals of the BON Tradition - love Phurpa right now, it's dark and grim but uplifting at the same time. So easy to just get lost in the chanting. I guess in reference to SunnO))) above, the most questionable aspect that has always surrounded them is a lack of authenticity whereas Phurpa absolutely fits the bill, particularly with a bit of reading about their background.

Andrew McIntosh

Martial God Mask, I had never heard of Phurpa until now and then looked at this and now it appears I owe you a drink.
Shikata ga nai.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 27, 2015, 03:31:19 PM
Martial God Mask, I had never heard of Phurpa until now and then looked at this and now it appears I owe you a drink.

No problem!

vomitgore

Quote from: acsenger on December 27, 2015, 10:52:25 AM
Quote from: vomitgore on December 26, 2015, 05:24:36 PM

If you don't have it already, I recommend getting the Waging War Against You CD which has the Con-Dom and Grey Wolves tracks from the War Against Society 3LP. I got the CD a few days ago and I'm glad I bought it after some hesitation. I was on the fence about buying it because I know very little Con-Dom and I had the same opinion about it as you. I collected almost all of the 7"'s in the Sermons series after reading the Con-Dom thread on SI, and while some of them are really good, I found others to be nothing special. I don't care much for the Have Complete Faith CD -- although maybe I should listen to it again, since, strangely enough, when I recently listened to the Intolerable split tape with Grey Wolves, I loved it, even though it's the same kind of murky, primitive noise/PE that I remember Have Complete Faith being. Anyway, the tracks on Waging War Against You are good to great (Torch being my favourite) and together they form an excellent first half of the CD (playtime-wise, it's more than half, actually). Your description of "murky and actually quite experimental noise" fits it well. I'm now curious about Shards of Ordnance and will definitely order it.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation!I actually bought that "Waging War Against You" instantly when it was released and it is some of my favourite Con-Dom material. Apart from that, the "Colour of a Man's Skin" release is tremendous, also have fond memories of that "Control Domination" release that comes in those stone plates (it's been a while, though). I would probably recommend those even more than the "Shards of Ordnance" compilation, although that should also be right up your alley judging by your descriptions (and it's also nice just to have, in my opinion).

Today's listening included:

Stadingers - Deadly Silent Impulse

DCR releases are always worth checking out, and this is one of those that didn't get as much attention as some of the others, it seems? Maybe the highly acclaimed Femeheim debut stole some of the stagelight? However, I think this should definitely be acknowledged more. Very dark, clean and well-crafted soundscapes, some distant howlings and warm, rich sound. Very "Industrial" so to say. Highly recommended, in my opinion!

holy ghost

Quote from: martialgodmask on December 27, 2015, 01:53:34 PMSunnO))) - Kannon - I have always been unashamedly a big fan of Sunn and quite dismissive of the notion that they're only good as a live experience. Ther recorded experience has always been different, but not worse. Anyway, Kannon is a little more back to basics guitar drone, less oppressive than the likes of 00Void or Grimrobe Demos but it feels more stripped back than later works - maybe White2 is a good reference point. Vocals still present but less prominent. Won't create new fans but if you're already on board with them I don't see why you wouldn't be with this one too.

Thanks for this balanced review - the reviews I've read online have been far too full of hyperbole to take seriously. I can't read another review of how Sunn O))) have created something so magical it transcends all music prior to it's creation or a WHAT IS THIS IT'S NOT EVEN MUSIC from some bro-metal blog.... I really disliked the Scott Walker and Ulver collabs but I'm intrigued to check this out when I see an LP copy. I've been really into the stuff O'Malley's been doing with Steve Noble so I'm hopeful for more like the St. Francis Duo or the Nazoranai LPs, which are way more interesting than Sunn since, well I guess Monoliths and Dimensions which was okay. Frankly I'd just be happy with White 1 & 2 reissued so I can finally own LP versions more than anything else!

Today: SNFU - And No One Wanted To Play LP - fucking loved this record as a teenager, the 35 year old me feels exactly the same way. Never cared for much more after this although If You Swear is pretty great too.

Dave Holland Quartet - Conference of the Birds LP - this was one of the first really "free" LPs I bought but it almost seems tame today compared to what else is freeing it up, still a really great listen. Sam Rivers and Anthony Braxton on one LP is a wonderful thing.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - hadn't played this in a looooong time as there's so much other Coltrane I prefer, usually Interstellar Space or Live in Japan, but this LP is seriously great when not wanting it to be so "out" you can't appreciate the album for what it is musically, and not just an endlessly namechecked "supreme classic" along with Slint and Fleetwood Mac on a Rolling Stone best of 500 list. Elvin Jones in particular is phenomenal on this, and I would say it was really great to break out my LP copy and hear it on my stereo and not on a pair of headphones while trudging to work. Great. Better than I remember it.

acsenger

Quote from: vomitgore on December 27, 2015, 11:59:31 PM
Thanks a lot for the recommendation!I actually bought that "Waging War Against You" instantly when it was released and it is some of my favourite Con-Dom material. Apart from that, the "Colour of a Man's Skin" release is tremendous, also have fond memories of that "Control Domination" release that comes in those stone plates (it's been a while, though). I would probably recommend those even more than the "Shards of Ordnance" compilation, although that should also be right up your alley judging by your descriptions (and it's also nice just to have, in my opinion).

Thanks a lot! I've read a lot of praise about Colour of a Man's Skin -- I wish it wasn't so expensive! Control Domination isn't exactly cheap either, but it's on Tidal so I'll listen to it there.

Quote from: martialgodmask on December 27, 2015, 01:53:34 PM
Ryoji Ikeda - +/- - both perfect driving album and horrendous in equal parts. The frequency fun is quite soothing mostly but some of the shifts and subtleties can be rather distracting.

This is quite a challenging album. I remember the calmer parts were almost a relief after the intense headfuck of the more extreme frequencies. Not exactly easy listening even by experimental music standards.

martialgodmask

Quote from: holy ghost on December 28, 2015, 02:32:15 AM
Quote from: martialgodmask on December 27, 2015, 01:53:34 PMSunnO))) - Kannon - I have always been unashamedly a big fan of Sunn and quite dismissive of the notion that they're only good as a live experience. Ther recorded experience has always been different, but not worse. Anyway, Kannon is a little more back to basics guitar drone, less oppressive than the likes of 00Void or Grimrobe Demos but it feels more stripped back than later works - maybe White2 is a good reference point. Vocals still present but less prominent. Won't create new fans but if you're already on board with them I don't see why you wouldn't be with this one too.

Thanks for this balanced review - the reviews I've read online have been far too full of hyperbole to take seriously. I can't read another review of how Sunn O))) have created something so magical it transcends all music prior to it's creation or a WHAT IS THIS IT'S NOT EVEN MUSIC from some bro-metal blog.... I really disliked the Scott Walker and Ulver collabs but I'm intrigued to check this out when I see an LP copy. I've been really into the stuff O'Malley's been doing with Steve Noble so I'm hopeful for more like the St. Francis Duo or the Nazoranai LPs, which are way more interesting than Sunn since, well I guess Monoliths and Dimensions which was okay. Frankly I'd just be happy with White 1 & 2 reissued so I can finally own LP versions more than anything else!

I like Soused although it feels far more like SunnO))) are Walker's guests. This new album isn't remotely magical and doesn't really offer anything new at all and I'm ok with that, clearly some people need to get a grip. As inferred in my original post, it feels more like an exercise in dress-up and pretend when compared with other seemingly more authentic artists but again, I'm ok with that enough to not get hung up on it and always have been.

pentd

magma / mk9 / yen pox / esther phillips / lavern baker / bullmoose jackson.....

xmas time went with the usual motörhead rituals (bomber, iron fist... joker card this year was "live + loud" some cheapo compilation of lofi live + demo stuff..... but now these sad news....)

Baglady

PRICK DECAY - Mud Sound For Car Stereos CD (Pure)
A concoction of pretty much every aspect l like about noise. Playful, unpredictable and silly (but not too silly). Soundwise, to these ears, it sits right in the middle between Spoils & Relicsy confusion and MSNP-ish butchery.  Some line-up on this one as well (Bolus, Phillips, Jerman, Eb.Er, Constance etc.)...

INTERSYSTEMS 3LP box (Alga Marghen)
Ordered and paid for the much cheaper CD-version but received this luxurious vinyl version instead (by mistake I assume). Nice! Recorded, or at least originally released, during the years 1967 and 1968. Some rather funny spoken word/story telling accompanied by experimental electronic sounds. This, the vinyl version, comes with a huge book and (for the third LP in the set) a smaller zine-like art booklet. It is certainly a document of its time, not too far from what Öyvind Fahlström and Åke Hodell were up to in Sweden back then. To taste, I guess. Lovely stuff!